Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Vito Acconci


Vito Acconci think of himself mainly as an architect, but he is an istalatio artist and also did some video stuff. Most of his video work used himself as the the key point. His work varys greatly, but some of his stuff can get a little strange like his blow up doll series. His one piece called "Seed bed" happens to be very strange. He had a ramp installed at the gallery and he hid underneath it and vocalize it so the people viewing the gallery could here him maturbate. Another one of his works "Dirt Wall" which is a wall built twenty four feet high out of glass and steel. Inside he filled it with volcanic rock, different sands, red dolomite, and topsoil.


Some of his work is interesting to me. I like some of his architectural pieces like the "Dirt Wall" I find it very interesting and think it looks very neat. It's just like a piece of the earth has been sliced out and lifted up so we can see it. His "City of Words" is also interesting a looks pretty neat and I love how your eye just flow through it. A lot of his work I find to be a little too strange for my likings though. I'm not a big fan at all of "Seed Bed" that is kind of disgusting and wrong to me. I'm not a big fan when artists start to do sexual provacitive pieces, I don't feel its really neccesary and I don't really want to see it but I guess some people do.

No comments: